Thursday, September 30, 2010

More Blessings

I had a bunch of folks here today to help me. The house is coming together very nicely. The only room that is still a total disaster (other than the garage) is the guest room/office. We continue to toss and donate. Initially I was afraid I had too much furniture, but I am now confident that it will all fit. The living room and family room are showing promise. About all that is left to do is add some art. The kitchen is also coming along nicely.
.
The one worry I had had about home ownership was snow removal. They just passed a stricter ordinance with heavier fines if snow isn't removed from the sidewalk within 24 hours. This morning I realized that the sidewalks in my neighborhood are on the other side of the street. I don't have a sidewalk to shovel. The town doesn't care if my driveway isn't clear.
.
My new refrigerator and freezer arrived today. I now have all the food that tempts Daughter safely locked away. Daughter was getting overwhelmed today, so I sent her to a quiet place to watch DVD's on her portable player. She also took a nap. I was able to prevent a meltdown.
.
I had to move my car for the delivery people, so I parked it several houses down the street (my driveway and much of the street were taken up with the vehicles of those who came to help). A little girl came over to ask me where I was going. I had noticed that someone else had a car just like mine on the street, and it turned out it was her family. I was alarmed by how friendly and inquisitive she was. She wanted to know if I had any candy. She wanted to see the inside of my car. She looked in the backseat and climbed in for a closer look. Her older sister came over. Finally, her grandmother came out. I introduced myself to the grandmother. They are raising their 3 grandchildren. That's the second family (of the four I've met) that is dealing with kids from the system.
.
I continue to feel very blessed.

No comments: