Thursday, September 9, 2010

Stewardship

Capital begins their stewardship campaign the second Sunday I'm in the pulpit. I haven't been involved in a stewardship campaign in 15 years. Tiny Village doesn't believe in pledging and didn't want me talking about money. In fact, I was ordered not to talk about money. Unfortunately for them, I'm going to preach the Gospel, including the uncomfortable parts about money. They haven't necessarily liked it, but I have preached about money and stewardship, and according to one member the church is in better shape than it ever has been financially.
.
I find myself wondering if stewardship is an area with as many landmines in Capital as it is here in Tiny Village. I wonder how many I will discover the hard way. I have to say, though, that I'm very impressed that Capital has planned a stewardship campaign without the help or guidance of a pastor. I'm coming in to something they have already figured out and have going. It's going to be nice to be in ministry with a congregation that doesn't depend on the pastor to do everything. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: