Saturday, September 18, 2010

Nice Surprises

I woke up this morning and turned on the computer, and one of my neighbors has an unprotected wireless network. I'm online! Yesterday I didn't have time to even think about the computer. It's been a wonderful 24 hours.
.
When we arrived, there was a man digging away at the weeds in the driveway cracks. Realtor arrived to let us in, carrying a bag and a fan. Capital had a record setting rain on Thursday, which settled the question of whether or not I have a dry basement. Water came in through one basement window, so Realtor, who had been to the house earlier, was carrying a fan to dry the puddle on the floor. Realtor also had toilet paper, paper towels, light bulbs, and sugar free candy for Daughter. While we were standing outside talking, the utility companies were coming by to read the utilities for the last time.
.
We unloaded the car, took the closing papers Realtor gave us to read, and headed to lunch. The variety of options was overwhelming, to say the least. From there we went to the Super Hardware Store. We raced through there, purchasing light bulbs, paint supplies, closet organizers, 7 gallons of paint, a microwave, broom, hardware for the kitchen cabinets, trash bags, and various other necessities. Daughter was wonderful. She waited in the closet organizers for someone to come put a heavy one in a cart while I went over to appliances. She found me in appliances and went back to pick up the paint they'd been mixing for us.
.
We arrived at closing at the same time as the sellers, the original owners' Son and Daughter-In-Law. DIL handed me a folder containing information about a pastor support program at a retreat center where she works. As we talked, I realized I'd met her a couple of years ago when Sister Best Friend and I did a worship planning retreat there. She is the bookstore manager. We parted with a hug and a housewarming gift from them.
.
The closing was easy. I'd already read through the documents at lunch, so I just signed what they gave me and handed over a large cashier's check. I left with a smaller check for the difference between what I actually owed and the check. We had a wonderful conversation as we signed all the documents. The poor title agent didn't have the chance to say anything-- she just kept handing us documents. We were done in 45 minutes. I handed Daughter a house key and she squealed with delight.
.
We came back to the house and began unloading the car. One of the members came by. He'd already been there trimming trees and bushes. I gave him a key and we walked through the house. He has a crew lined up to clean, paint, trim more bushes and trees, and do various other things. Everyone thinks this is the perfect house for us.
.
Sister Best Friend and her Husband arrived. We ordered pizza to be delivered. We washed the living room sheers (which fell apart-- I knew that was a possibility, but they were filthy). We ran back to SHS-- it's wonderful to have stores so close. SBF and I tackled the kitchen cabinets, removing hardware, cleaning, putting new hardware on. H tackled the bedroom closets, removing the bar and two shelves in each. They were hung quite securely, so if the rest of the house was as well built, I am very fortunate indeed.
.
By the time SBF and H left, there was a new toilet seat installed, the cupboards had been wiped down, some new hardware was on (I grabbed the wrong size on my second trip, so I need to exchange those today), a drawer and one cupboard had new shelf liners (and a few dishes), the tattered sheers had been rehung, the closets were ready for painting, and Daughter had made us beds in our new bedrooms with the air mattresses and linens I'd brought from home.
.
In a few minutes I'll wake up Daughter. We will head to a restaurant for breakfast and then back to SHS. I need to buy a refrigerator and freezer, exchange the wrong size hardware I purchased, look at window treatments for the living room, and see how much more money I can spend today. SBF has a shower near here today, so she'll drop her H off on her way. He'll paint closets. I'll do some painting, but also clean up and find homes for all the thins we've brought. I'm managed to fill the kitchen counter and card table I bought with various items. We'll head back to Tiny Village this afternoon.
.
God is good, and has called us to the right place at the right time. I am grateful.

2 comments:

Marge said...

Wahoo! It sounds like you are off to a great start in your new home. It sounds perfect, like you say, and I'm hoping we'll get to see a picture or two when you get all finished settling in. I'm happy for you and Daughter!

Reverend Mom said...

Thanks, Marge, I'll get some pictures up at some point. I am really excited about this move.