Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Radical Idea

In my sermon Sunday I'm going to be talking about the importance of grace, and how it is through the grace of Jesus Christ that we are saved, not through the law. I'm going to suggest that we are putting too much emphasis on the law, with the result that we are building walls that keep people away from the church. I'm going to talk about the importance of building bridges that invite people into God's love and grace. I'm going to tell them that there is no one alive on this planet today that God doesn't love. It's a very basic part of the Gospel, but one that seems to be getting lost. It's also something that will bother many of them. Our black and white society is much more comfortable with law than grace. My sermon won't change that, but hopefully it will cause people to pause and think.

3 comments:

maeve said...

Can I replace law with "church rules"? I'm a recovering Catholic who left it all behind because of birth control, women in the priesthood, women's rights in general, and abortion.

I wish I'd been a Presbyterian because I'd just move to Capital and find someone who "gets me".

Reverend Mom said...

yes, but if you moved to Capital you'd miss out on time with your new grandchild....

Anonymous said...

You're a Presbyterian? The Elect! Rock on, so am I!