Sunday, September 12, 2010

Youth Group

I just got home from youth group. It's been a while since I've been able to say it, so I'll say it now: I love these kids. It was a small group tonight-- only 10, half special needs. We made sundaes-- the kids brought their favorite ice cream topping and we supplied the ice cream. We watched a video for teens by Nick Vujicic. The kids loved it. I've never seen them so attentive to a video I've shown. They want more people to hear him, and were talking about bringing him to this area to speak. Since he'd just talked about the importance of not giving up and continuing to try, I decided not to tell them it was impossible. Instead, I told them to go check out his website. Daughter was crying as she watched and listened to his message. She's having a difficult time pinpointing what it was that bothered her so much.
.
One of the boys told me I'd be missed. I'll miss these kids so much. In two weeks, we'll do a formal goodbye party with pizza and games. I promised them we'd play balloon stomp again-- they loved that game. Tonight I left them with a challenge: to go out and say something nice to a different person every day this week. It came out of the video we watched. I told them I wanted to hear what happens next week. Capital doesn't have a youth group right now. We'll have to work on that.
.
I'm tired this evening. Preparing to say goodbye is exhausting.

No comments: