Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Decisions

At times I find making decisions very difficult. I like to stay open to the possibilities. It's interesting, because the big decisions are relatively easy-- I knew it was time to seek a new call, and I didn't hesitate about accepting the call to Capital. I knew that was what God wanted me to do, so I did it. The decision to adopt Daughter was easy. Decisions related to her health and safety are relatively easy.
.
Other decisions, though.... For those of you who are familiar with Myers/Briggs, I am a complete and total P with absolutely no points on the J end of the spectrum. I'm creative, and I rebel against too much structure. Daughter has to have structure, and it is very challenging for me to consistently provide the level of structure she needs. I set a menu for the week, and then find myself questioning and modifying it. I want to be open to all the possibilities.
.
There are parts of this move that are becoming excruciating. Specifically, the part that involves making decisions about what to take and what to leave behind. At first I wasn't going to take my big desk. The third bedroom was going to be a guest room, and I didn't want a desk in the living room or family room. Then I decided I didn't want a dedicated guest room, so I was going to take the desk. This morning I was sitting in the living room working on the computer. I realized that I seldom sit and work at my desk. It is large, and the large surface attracts clutter. It is 3' x 6', and it will take up entirely too much space in a bedroom that is only 11' x 9'. If I don't take it, I'll have room for the 2 sets of bookshelves from the TV room that I wasn't going to move. So I'm back to not taking it. In fact, I offered to sell it to the woman who is buying my refrigerator and freezer. She thinks she wants it. Once it's sold, that should stop me from torturing myself for the next few weeks. I have a desk top on top of 2 file cabinets that I will use in the new house, and eventually I will decide what kind of desk I want and where I want it. Right now the desk top holds two printers (one laser and one color that is also a scanner). I'll have to figure out where to put those, too. Maybe they'll fit in the cabinets at the bottom of the bookshelves I now have room for in the guest room.
.
I now know what I'll do with the third bedroom-- at least until I come up with another possibility....
.
No

2 comments:

Miz Kizzle said...

Turn the third bedroom into a Tiki bar, complete with flaming torches, a working model volcano and bare-chested young Hawaiian men, or possibly you could make it a dominatrix pleasure parlor. Either way, you're sure to impress your new congregation.

Reverend Mom said...

Thanks for the laugh! Actually, my preference would be a mountain cabin-- lots of trees and a cool breeze.