Friday, September 3, 2010

Saying Goodbye

It seems that saying goodbye to the people here necessitates lots of eating. This morning I had breakfast with a member. This evening we're invited to supper and fireworks with an extended family that has gathered from across the country for the Big Event. I like these people-- they're the children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren of my favorite nursing home couple.
.
Daughter wet the bed again last night, and was very frustrated with herself over it this morning. I warned her we had a supper invitation, as I wanted her to have time to adjust to the idea. We had some rain this morning which has cooled down the temperature nicely. It's supposed to be cool again tomorrow, so I think Daughter and I will finish the garage. My plan is that we can then use the garage as a staging area-- moving packed items and items that we are disposing of to different areas of the garage. The boxes we have stacked in the house are getting a bit oppressive.
.
Monday we'll make our annual (and last) pilgrimage to the county fair. We'll eat Tiny Village service club sausage sandwiches and various other junk food. We'll check out the church kids' livestock in the various barns and admire their ribbons.
.
This morning I'm hanging in the church office. The Big Event program is printing (again) and the piano tuner is fixing the bad note. Fortunately he could hear the problem today-- when he was here to tune it, the problem wasn't there.
.
I'm looking forward to food and fellowship with some wonderful people tonight. I'm grateful for the opportunity to spend time with this family one more time. I'm grateful for the opportunities I've had to get to know them over the past 14 years. They are one of the families I will really miss. I figure by the time I've finished all of these goodbyes, I'll have gained 10 pounds. I hope the hellos in Capital don't involve lots of food.

No comments: