Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Picking a Fight

Daughter made it through the day without calling me! When she got home, I was on the phone with my sisters. I quickly measured out some tortilla chips as a snack for her, and gave her an amount that would not require her to take insulin. As soon as I got off the phone I asked her to go for a walk with me. She didn't like that idea, but she finally agreed to go along.
.
She informed me I wasn't to mention the move. I found it a challenge to find other topics to talk to her about. I did, however, respect her request. I didn't mention the move until later, and then only after I asked her permission.
.
I decided we'd go out to eat tonight (the mortgage paperwork wore me out today). Our negotiations over the menu were more intense than usual. I finally said, "Look, you're going to have to decide what your priority is. You can't have every high carb food on the menu, so what is it you most want? Of, you can always continue to try and get me to fight with you." We finally agreed on her meal, and she checked her blood sugar, which was well over 200. I demanded to know what she'd eaten. She was relatively quick to acknowledge that in addition to the tortilla chips I'd given her she'd taken 2 slices of bread. I was frustrated, but thanked her for telling me the truth.
.
When her meal came, she was frustrated because I had insisted that she had to have some protein. She carefully ate all the carbs first, and then informed me she was too full to eat any protein.
.
"Wrong. You will eat half of it. You have had nothing but carbs since you got home, and your blood sugar has gone very high. If you don't eat some protein, it will bottom out and you'll have a low." She could tell she had about pushed me to the limits of my patience. So she finally ate most of the protein. On the way home, I asked her what she got out of picking fights with me. She didn't deny that was what she was trying to do, but she couldn't explain why. She acknowledged she didn't like it when I got mad and yelled at her. Once we got home, she was fairly cooperative.
.
I was rather proud of myself for refusing to take the bait. I will admit, though, that I was thinking that maybe I should offer her to the bank in exchange for the mortgage, they wouldn't have to know that technically she hadn't been born to me....

No comments: