Sunday, August 15, 2010

Making Connections

Earlier this week Daughter and I were having a discussion about food issues. I told her (again) that her health is very important to me. She informed me her health was no concern of mine and I needed to leave her alone and stop worrying. I don't think she was quite that polite. I asked her if she worried about me when I wasn't feeling good, and pointed out I felt the same way. That ended the discussion, but she wasn't convinced.
.
By the time worship was over today, my back was really bothering me. I couldn't bend over to put some things away, so I had to ask for help. By the time I got home, I was limping. I asked Daughter to fetch the heating pad for my back, and then I asked for her help positioning it properly. She was very concerned and solicitous. She pulled two meals out of the freezer and heated them up in the microwave for our lunch today. She kept asking me what I needed.
.
After lunch she came in and said to me, "This is what you were talking about this week." I had no idea what she was talking about. She said, "I think it was about the lying. You said you had to take care of me just like I have to take care of you!"
.
I was impressed that she remembered what I said and made the connection. Do I think it will result in a change of behavior/attitude? Maybe for a few days. But she's going to have to make the connection many more times before it changes her attitude. The good news is that she is capable of making the connection, and maybe next time she'll remember today.

No comments: