Friday, August 6, 2010

Midnight Musings

I've been having difficulty sleeping the last few nights. I go to bed and my mind is racing. One of the things that I keep thinking about is the move. Our new house is quite a bit smaller than this one. I've known since I moved in here 14 years ago that this would be a problem-- that I'd never again live in a house this big and beautiful. So last night it was the guest room furniture that had me thinking. Our current guest room is large-- probably larger than any of the rooms in our new house. I had already decided that the futon/bunk would go to the basement. I'm thinking about setting up a space for Daughter and her friends in the unfinished basement. I'll put the futon/bunk there as well as a TV and some of the other furniture from that room. I think I'll put the carpet we will remove from her bedroom on the floor to define the space, and further define it by painting a portion of the basement wall a bright, cheery color. It shouldn't be a problem to run cable down there, in fact, I think we saw cable hanging down in one corner of the basement. Lying in bed, I realized there were also some shelves in that room. They can go down there, too. She can store games and craft supplies on them. The small desk I will sell or donate. The twin bed will go in the guest room. The wicker chair will find a home in the basement in Daughter's area.
.
But then came the problem. What will I do with my sewing machine? Yes, I have to confess, I lost sleep last night over a sewing machine. Even after losing sleep, I haven't figured out where I'm going to put it. That's one of the reasons I'm glad we've moved up the home inspection. I'm going to go take lots of pictures and measurements. Armed with hard facts, I should have enough information to find spots and make decisions about the items that wake me up in the middle of the night....
.
I do understand Daughter's anxiety about the move. It's one of the reasons I'm pushing things along at a rapid pace (it may seem slow, but often there is a longer time between receiving the call and actually moving). I'm going to have to count and measure shelves when we're there Monday, too. This morning I looked at the pantry and wondered if there would be enough space in the new one. Oh, and should the freezer go in the garage or the basement? It's not just at night that I find myself wondering....

No comments: