Monday, August 23, 2010

Back to Civilization

There have been many wonderful things about living and serving in Tiny Village. One thing I have missed, though, is having a decent office at the church. While I have a very nice study in my home, my church office is a gray desk in the corner of a Sunday School room. There aren't bookshelves. I can't lock the door. We have cordless phones so that there can be one on the pastor's desk and the secretary's desk. The secretary's office is another desk in another corner of the same Sunday School room. The printer/copy machine is between our desks. The only windows are stained glass, and don't open. There is no AC, and the office faces west. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

Here in Capital the church building is modern and completely air conditioned. There is a wall of bookshelves in the pastor's study.


That will be more than be enough to hold my books, many of which are currently in boxes stacked between the desk and the seating area. The danger is my library will expand to fill the available space.

That's Daughter snoozing on the love seat. By yesterday she was exhausted.
There are windows that open and have built in blinds.

As I was driving to the church yesterday morning, I was thinking about the study. I decided I'd need a mirror to check my appearance before I went into worship. As I thought about the study, I decided that the best place would be on the inside of the door to the closet. When I opened the door to hang up my robe, this is what I found.

We went to the grocery store yesterday evening. It was at least three times the size of our grocery stores in Town. When I tell Far Away Sister about my new study and the grocery store, I know what she will say, because she's said it many times the last few weeks, "It's called civilization." I think I'm going to like civilization.

No comments: