Monday, August 2, 2010

A Good Conversation

Daughter was complaining about lots of weird physical symptoms this morning. I suggested that if we talked about her big feelings, she wouldn't have as many aches and pains. She was talking about how much she'd miss her friends. She named two of them she'd miss, one was Best Friend Mommy. We talked about how BFM has not really been a good friend since she became obsessed with men a couple of years ago. Daughter recognizes that, and mourns the relationship they used to have more than the current one. The other individual she mentioned surprised me. M is at the gift shop with Daughter, and I met her when I stopped by their last week to pick up Daughter. She is an older woman, and is severely impaired. She's in a wheelchair, and has very limited verbal skills. She has a pleasant disposition most of the time, and Daughter has taught her how to do butterfly kisses. I was puzzled by the deep connection Daughter seems to have formed with this very handicapped woman. Daughter said, "She reminds me of Grandma. It's like Grandma left part of herself in M like Voldemort left part of himself in Harry Potter." It made sense. Mom was very limited verbally the last couple of years of her life, but she knew us and was always excited to see Daughter. I understand more of why Daughter is upset about leaving. Now that I understand it, we'll be able to talk about it. This is progress.

No comments: