Saturday, August 14, 2010

Plan #14,567

Last night at bedtime Daughter's blood sugar was high. "I wasn't into anything."
.
"I'm not stupid. Go get whatever food you have hidden in your room."
.
"There isn't any! I wasn't into anything!" She took her pills and insulin and headed upstairs to bed, mad because I didn't believe her.
.
I opened the pantry door. "Daughter, bring down the tortilla chips right now. Best bring down any other food or empty containers you have up there at the same time."
.
After a moment of silence, she came downstairs carrying a bag of tortilla chips.
.
This morning her blood sugar was high. "Go get whatever food it is you have hidden in your room. You'd best bring it all down now."
.
She went back upstairs and came down with a bag of croutons. We had the usual discussion in which I pointed out that I was sick of the lying, and how frustrated I got with myself when I believed her lies. I explained again how I torment myself by wondering how I messed up her insulin, and I worry that I'm killing her. I reminded her again that it goes a lot easier if she comes clean immediately instead of continuing to lie to me, and that I eventually figure out the truth, so she might as well get it over with. I never raised my voice.
.
She screamed at me that she had to eat the food and I didn't understand. She stormed up to her room again vowing she'd never eat another bite and I could forget about breakfast. She accused me of being unreasonable. She came downstairs and told me she was an idiot and she hated herself for being such a screw up.
.
I reminded her again that she was capable of making good choices. We ate breakfast (one of my Dad's specialties-- sausage gravy and biscuits, but I made it with turkey sausage, fat free evaporated milk, and whole wheat biscuits).
.
I reminded her that I'm stressed about the move, too. I pointed out that by eating and lying, she was only adding to her stress. I suggested I would make sugar free jello and reminded her there was some reduced fat cheese in the refrigerator. I pointed out that both of those were free foods (no carbs needing to be covered by insulin), and anytime she was feeling the need to eat, she could tell me and have some cheese or jello. She thought that might help.
.
I will be so glad when I can lock the pantry and refrigerator. Until then, I'd best get busy figuring out plan #14,568.

No comments: