Saturday, August 14, 2010

Home

The last few days I've noticed something interesting. Daughter is asking me when we are going home. For her, home is no longer Tiny Village. Home is Capital. I'm amazed that she has decided that is home even before we've moved. I think that part of the reason she is claiming it as home is that she realizes we're going to be closer to family. Our last two trips up there family has come to see us. The first time it was Sister Best Friend, someone I've known since seminary and vacationed with for many years. We do worship planning together, and Daughter calls her aunt. SBF lives 45 minutes away from our new home. The second time it was Sister and Short Niece. They're further away, about 90 minutes, but we will still be seeing much more of them than what we see now.
.
We've never lived close to family, so I am thrilled that Daughter feels such a connection with them that the idea of being closer to family is so good. That's quite an accomplishment for a kid who was diagnosed with Reactive Attachment Disorder. Therapist keeps pointing out that she is attached to me, but we still deal with some of the residue and she still struggles with trust. She's excited to think she'll be seeing more of them. For her, this house we are buying is home. She wants to move now. I have begun putting the important dates on a calendar for her, but I still can't give her a definite date for the move. Hopefully by next week I'll be able to fill in the rest of the dates, and she'll have the comfort of knowing what is happening when. I think that will be very helpful for her.
.
Today has been a marathon cooking day. I've made jello for her, and have done what will probably be the last round of meals for the freezer. I've made 19 servings of pizza pasta and 3 pounds of taco meat. Daughter was very cooperative, and I'm grateful.

1 comment:

Miz Kizzle said...

That's wonderful! You'll both benefit from being near family. IMHO home is one of the most beautiful words in any language. Family is another.