Friday, August 6, 2010

Ancient

I have texted and emailed updates on the house hunt to my siblings. I've had a number of conversations with my sisters, and brother sent one text about it being exciting and keep them up to date. I thought it was rather strange I hadn't heard more from him, but have my ideas about why that may be the case. So today I was talking to Sister. She had a conversation with Brother this week and asked him what he thought about my house. He expressed concern that it was a lot of house for me to handle and offered the opinion that it would be hard for someone my age. Sister pointed out I'm not that old and the house is much smaller than where I am now and has fewer steps.
.
She told me, "I think he thinks you're ancient!" I was always the third parent for him, and his mother-in-law is my age (his wife is much younger than he is), so I think he's having a difficult time keeping my age in perspective. For his wife, I'm mom's age, not sister's age. There are some other issues, of course.
.
I noticed that Realtor kept talking about how important it would be for me to have first floor laundry. I find myself wondering if he thinks I'm ancient, too. Maybe I should think about doing something about all that gray hair....

2 comments:

Miz Kizzle said...

Could there also be jealousy involved? That's often the case with siblings, sadly enough. They want you to be successful, just not TOO successful...
As for the first-floor laundry, I think it's a matter of convenience. Nobody wants to be carrying loads of laundry up and down stairs.

Reverend Mom said...

Jealousy and resentment. I got the call to Capital on the day they announced they were pregnant. I make less but am in much better shape financially. I am getting more house for less money. Brother bought his house at the peak of the market, and overmortgaged it. The last (identical) house that sold on his street sold for 20% of what he paid for his house-- they are stuck there for a very long time. Dad always was afraid that Sister-in-law was marrying Brother for money he doesn't have. I think that's true. He had a ton of debt, and was ignoring calls from bill collectors. I will refrain from offering any more observations about her.

I have loved having a first floor laundry here-- and one of the houses we looked at I rejected basically because of all the steps. The steps to the bedrooms were narrow and steep, and the laundry room was in the basement. I do know that, but I still feel old at times....