Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Three and a Half Years

Three and a half years ago I came very close to getting a call. The committee was quite conflicted, and it took several meetings after my second visit with them before they decided that they were going to continue looking. The chair of the committee never responded to my emails or sent me my mileage check after they decided not to call me. I was disappointed, but knew in my heart of hearts that this was best. There had been lots of red flags as I looked back on my experience with them. They couldn't even agree on whether there last pastor has been wonderful or terrible, and there didn't seem to be any middle ground between the two views. They denied they had any conflict or issues. I had received a note from a member of the committee assuring me he was on my side. At the time, I was disturbed that he was taking my side rather than God's side.
.
At the time I was very disappointed. With all of these issues, why was I disappointed? I was disappointed because I fell in love with the area in which it was located. It was closer to family (but not too close). It was close to my closest friend in the world. There were resources of all kinds for Daughter. It had the advantages of a large city without being too huge. I quickly realized, though, that there were other reasons why it would not have been a good time to move. My parents' health was deteriorating, and the next few years were spent struggling to balance the needs of my parents 150 miles from here with the needs of Daughter and the church here in Tiny Village. It was a challenging time, and there were many times that I gave thanks that I had not gotten that call and that I had not been trying to establish my ministry in a different church at the same time I was dealing with my parents' dying.
.
One month from the day of my father's death last fall, the committee that has extended a call to me received my paperwork. Are you ready? They are in the same area as the church that didn't call me three and a half years ago. They are on the other side of the same city. It is in the area I fell in love with, and, it is a healthier congregation. They recognize their issues and have worked on them. They are eagerly waiting for their new pastor, and have been making plans to welcome their new pastor. I am now in a better place to take on a new position. I am healthier-- physically, spiritually, and emotionally. Have I mentioned that God is good?

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Hoping for good news for you!