Monday, July 19, 2010

Goshen

I just listened to the podcast of a sermon by Bishop Willimon about Goshen. He talks about Goshen as a place of waiting. He says God is good, but in God's own good time. Waiting is hard. I've been busy today with day off errands, but I find myself wondering if we're going to be moving soon. I find myself wondering when I'll hear something. Waiting is hard.
.
Brother and Sister-in-law are waiting for the birth of their first child. The pregnancy was confirmed today, and I got a cryptic text message with nothing but a date towards the end of February. I wonder if the waiting will seem long or short for them. I talked to Brother, who insisted that nothing in their lives would change because they were becoming parents. I'll let them hold on to that fantasy for a while.
.
As I was driving home today, I was reflecting on the fact that when Daughter came into my life, my expectation was that this would be the year she would graduate from college. I thought I would be parenting in a different way now. I have a friend who describes her son as "an 8 year old with 42 years of experience." I'm in Goshen waiting for Daughter to decide she's not going to wet the bed anymore. I find myself wondering if she will ever be able to be around food without supervision. If I will ever be able to trust what she says to me.
.
Even in Goshen, though, God is good. God's time is good. I hope it's soon.

No comments: