Thursday, July 22, 2010

The First Two Fishing Expeditions

This morning a woman came into the church office to chat and hear the news. She kept asking me quite pointedly if there was anything new or anything she needed to know. I responded by giving status updates on people on the prayer list. She was too polite to come right out and ask if I was moving. It was rather amusing.
.
Secretary called a member about setting up a meeting on August 8. She said August 15th would be better for her. I'm not willing to schedule anything on or after the 15th until I know what the schedule is for the formal meeting to call me to Capital. The woman kept guessing as to why I couldn't/wouldn't schedule anything on the 15th. Secretary kept repeating, "She's not able to make any commitment at this time." We enjoyed that conversation, too, as the woman involved is the town gossip. We know she was frustrated when the call was finished, because she hadn't been able to get any information out of Secretary.
.
Daughter called me, sobbing. She announced she was having a nervous breakdown. I asked her again what;s the most important thing to remember, and she promptly recited, "We'll be together." I suggested she draw me some pictures of the way she wants to decorate her new bedroom. That cheered her up.
.
The date the call becomes official is most likely going to be the 15th or 22nd of August. Somehow I don't think anyone in Tiny Village will be surprised when I announce I'm moving to Capital. In fact, I will be very surprised if they aren't openly talking about it by then.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is your DD having a nervous breakdown? Does she know that term is no longer considered current? Maybe she needs to peruse a copy of the DSM to get some new ideas?
J/K
I figured she'd lose it as soon as it sunk in that you'd be leaving her familiar places and venturing into (cue scary music) THE UNKNOWN.

maeve said...

So funny about the fishing. Every town is a small town. Sounds like things are moving along and Daughter is doing well with it. That's great.

Reverend Mom said...

I don't know where she got the nervous breakdown line-- I found it amusing. Far Away Sister just ordered a book for Daughter called Beginning. She bought it for her kids when they were moving across country several years ago. It sounded wonderful. I have told D that it will be a roller coaster ride for a while, and that that's okay because in the end we will discover that the move is a very good thing.

Thanks, Maeve. I'm looking for humor-- and because I'm happy it's easier to find it.