Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Christian Community



In the breakfast line this morning, Daughter grabbed 2 small donuts, and then saw that further down the buffet they had oatmeal. She wanted to have oatmeal. I told her that she had more than enough carbs in the doughnuts, and she needed to plan better. When she arrived at our table, she had oatmeal, no donuts. I gave her the look, and she told me that a woman had heard the conversation and taken the doughnuts off Daughter's plate and put them on her own so Daughter could enjoy the oatmeal.
.
After her first class Daughter came to me in tears. Her film class on faith in films had watched some clips from The Green Mile, which had several triggers of her PTSD. She was tired from lack of sleep, and so she spent the second class period sitting next to me with her head in my lap. This afternoon the children's coordinator came to ask me if it was alright if she asked Daughter to help in one of the children's classes. There were 2 places that could use her, and the leaders were willing to have her join them. Tomorrow Daughter will be hanging out with elementary kids and will have a leader who got the 2 minute brief on how to keep her in line. I'm grateful, and Daughter's excited.
.
During prayers in worship tonight Daughter said she was thankful that I'd adopted her in 1995 and she'd been with me she thought for something like 23 or 26 years. Quite an accomplishment, considering that she's only 23.
.
Two people have told me she seems more independent this year. That's one of the things I like about coming here, they point out her progress to me from year to year. I need to hear that.
.
I'm having a great time teaching a class on the book of Revelation. I'm opening and closing each class with a hymn from YouTube that comes from the book (I had no idea that there were so many hymns based on the book of Revelation). Today the closing hymn was the video above. The class spontaneously stood up to sing along with the video. It gave me goosebumps. Tonight one of the women in the class asked if she could have a copy of the PowerPoint I've been doing to take back to her church. She wants them to hear what we've been discussing. I was honored. I had never worked with PowerPoint before, so I'm thrilled that she wants a copy of my first PowerPoint presentation.
.
Daughter did have to do laundry again this afternoon. She did it on her own while I prepared for tomorrow's class. One of the questions that was raised today was one I had to research and promised an answer tomorrow. I'm excited about what I have prepared for tomorrow. Did I mention how much I'm loving teaching?
.
I'm still waiting to hear from the church I interviewed with last month. They are deliberating now, having brought two of us in for interviews and to preach. I have a church some distance from here that is also interested. The class in which I'm a student is on professional development, and I find myself pondering whether I need to look at different forms of ministry to better match my gifts. I think the church that is asking about my availability might be a better fit. God is at work, and I'm listening.

No comments: