I had a long conversation with my realtor tonight. The house I fell in love with is a short sale. It has an offer into the bank and a back up offer as well. The bank has been considering the first offer for 6 weeks and isn't close to a decision yet. Since I want to move in at the end of September, I'm going to make a trip up there next Sunday and Monday to see if I can find another house I love. My realtor assures me we will find several. He's going to begin checking to see about which houses are short sales and if they already have bank approval. If not, I'll not make an offer. I don't have time to wait for a bank to decide whether or not to accept my offer.
While I'm disappointed, I'm very comfortable with my realtor. I know we will find something. He also wants me to consider condos, and we talked about the pros and cons of those tonight. It would be nice not to have to worry about snow removal, lawn care, and other exterior maintenance. I'm excited about going up and finding our next home.