Sunday, July 18, 2010

Romance Trouble

Daughter "slipped" and told Nice Guy that we might be moving. To say he was unhappy would be an understatement. He demanded to talk to me and informed me that if I moved, Daughter was staying here with him. I told him that wouldn't happen. Daughter, of course, was quite distressed about all the drama. She had an interesting insight, though, "With Nice Guy, it's always about him and what he wants." She also told me she was having troubled finding her voice to tell him what she wants. But here's the good news: She's not telling me she wants to stay here with him. For her, that's not an issue. As I type this, she has fallen asleep with her head on my arm.
.
I'm a little frustrated that she told him, but I do understand why. I've always given her a list of people she could talk to about the move, and told her she needs to limit herself to talking to just those people. I told NG he wasn't to talk about this, and that we might not move at all. I told him he needed to slow down and take it one step at a time. He said it was too hard, and he always had girlfriends move away. I told him that if he thought it would be too hard, he could break up with her now. He doesn't want to do that, but if he doesn't stop pressuring Daughter, she may break it off.
.
I'm sure that most of the congregation identified our guests as a search committee. That's okay. It's hard on them, but it's okay. They need to hear a new pastor just as much as I need a new congregation. We've done well together, but it's time for a change. God will call me to the right place at the right time.

No comments: