Wednesday, July 28, 2010

41 Inches

I have been looking at pictures of houses online and considering my priorities. A big one is that my next kitchen is bigger and has more counter space. I like to make big batches of favorite meals and then freeze them in single serving containers for lunches and fast suppers. It gets very challenging to find the space to work on a marathon cooking day. I've been trying to figure out how much space I need. Last night I measured the usable counter space in the kitchen. I have 41 inches between the sink and the stove. There is another 19 inches between the refrigerator and sink, which is good for putting things on when opening and closing the refrigerator. I don't really count that as counter space. There aren't any outlets near it so I can't even plug the toaster or iced tea maker in there.
.
I have been trying to figure out what is big enough, and pondering whether I need to increase my budget to get a better kitchen. I have decided that any kitchen that will give me more than 41 inches of counter space is an improvement. I will take my tape measure with me when I look at houses on Sunday and Monday. I have survived with 41 inches for 14 years now, so I can certainly make anything with more counter space than that work. I don't think it will be that much of a challenge to find a house with more than 41 inches of counter space.

2 comments:

maeve said...

I'm reading every day. I'm not an expert on any of this. I live in 3500 square feet, but my son is moving back, so we'll be four and then, on week-ends, five. Two people with a few guests should be able to make do with fewer square feet. A lot few square feet.

I was once a realtor. I think that location is the most important thing, based on what people want.

Reverend Mom said...

I am getting lots of advice, but when it comes down to it, it's going to be the house where I feel comfortable. I will know when I have found the right house. I will feel better when I have made that decision, and that process is going forward, hopefully smoothly.