Sunday, July 4, 2010

Responsibility

Daughter, after protesting that she hates vacation and doesn't want to go, has become wonderfully responsible and cooperative as we prepare to leave. This morning she was up on her own, and when she came downstairs, she was fully dressed and had packed up my cpap machine and was carrying it. I was impressed.
.
We ran out for a bite to eat and to pick up some cat food before we left. As we were headed home, I was into full trying to take care of everything before we leave mode. The conversation went something like this:
.
"I want to get those dishes washed when we got home. I don't want to leave with dirty dishes in the sink."
.
"I've already done that."
.
"Did you put the medication box in the car?"
.
"Done."
.
"What about the extra supplies I had on the kitchen table?"
.
"They're in the car."
.
"I want you to clean out the cat boxes."
.
"I've done that."
.
"Today?"
.
"Yes, Mom. I did it this morning when you were in the shower getting ready for church."
.
We got home with the extra cat food and I came into my desk for a few minutes. "Did you fill the cat bowl with the new food."
.
"Done." Then she got this huge smile on her face. "Don't you just love it when I'm one step ahead of you?"
.
Yes, I love it. It's days like this that give me hope during the more challenging times.

3 comments:

maeve said...

Amazing! She can do it when she decides to do it. Proves that oppositional is a choice, huh?

maeve said...

Oh, and have a great conference and FUN!

Reverend Mom said...

Daughter, oppositional by choice? It's part of what is so frustrating. This conference will be fun and relaxing. No matter what!