Monday, May 31, 2010

Surreal

Yesterday evening Daughter and I were watching an old musical when the phone rang. It was the Young Woman from next door. She wanted to use my washer and dryer because the electricity was off in about half of their home. Her parents were on their way home from their vacation home to deal with it. I told her to bring it over. I paused the movie and Daughter let YW in and showed her to the laundry room.
.
Then YW came in and sat with us. She began talking about her current research projects. The doorbell rang, and it was YW's Mom. She didn't want to be next door while her husband was trying to figure out why they didn't have electricity in part of their house. She wanted YW to know that all the food in the freezer was spoiled. She came in and sat down. I turned off the TV. Whenever I am with YW and YWM at the same time, it gets very surreal.
.
YW comes by her lack of social skills and her intellect honestly. As YW continued to discuss her current discoveries in the areas of WWII and missing persons, YWM began to tell me all about her recent camping trip with a friend, that involved riding horses on steep, muddy trails. Yes, they were both talking to me about very different topics at the same time. As I said, it was surreal.
.
Daughter, who had just seen her home invaded and her movie with me interrupted, was wonderfully patient and didn't complain (she did, however, wet the bed last night). By the time YW's laundry was done, I was having a very difficult time keeping my eyes open. Surreal as it was, I enjoyed the evening.

No comments: