Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mom

As I was reflecting on how nice it was that Daughter took me out to lunch on Mother's Day, I suddenly remembered the first time she took me out for Mother's Day. We were still in the inner city church, so she was probably 6 or 7. My parents had come to stay with her while I went to a conference. Daughter was telling them what she was going to do for me for Mother's Day. Mom was tickled by Daughter's big plans, which included taking me out to eat. But then Mom got to thinking. Daughter didn't have the money to take me out. Daughter didn't have the money for anything. There wasn't a dad in the picture to help Daughter honor me. She and Dad talked it over. I think it was the Saturday before Mother's Day that Mom called me. "Daughter was telling us how she wanted to take you out to eat for Mother's Day. Go to the piano and look (she gave me the name of a book and a page number) there's $20 there. Let Daughter take you out to eat." It was a wonderful day, and is a wonderful memory now.
.
I exchanged happy Mother's Day text messages with my sisters today. I think it would have been too hard to actually talk to them. I hope everyone is finding some joy this Mother's Day.

No comments: