Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A New Plan

Yesterday I came up with a new plan to give Daughter the visual reminders she needs. I took a poster board and a poster frame and talked again about the things she needs to be able to do to achieve her goals. The first goal we set was for community employment. I came up with a list of 6 things she needs to master to be successful in a job.


  1. Keep her bedroom and closet clean (can't take shortcuts or hide undone work)

  2. Take care of the clean laundry (again, no shortcuts or hiding)

  3. Handle verbal instructions (she prefers things written down, and if I verbally tell her more than 1 task she protests that I'm piling on her and she can't handle it).

  4. Pick up the pace of her work when asked (she slows down when told to speed up)

  5. Work through pain (she regularly complains of physical ailments to get out of work. I don't think the ailments are real, they are just an excuse.)

  6. Stay dry (Sunday she wet herself through the day.)

I told her that she needs to do all of those things for 30 days straight. I made a chart with boxes for each day and each task. When she fills 30 boxes, I'll take her out for ice cream. I put in rewards every 30 boxes, and at 180 boxes I'll help her get a job.


Several interesting things came out of all of this.



  1. She was amazed that I'd actually help her get a real job. I was surprised to realize that she thinks I'm holding her back.

  2. She was quite confident that she'd be able to do these things, and didn't question the need for a single one.

  3. She knows how to stop wetting the bed. My sisters have urged me to take her to the doctor to check for physical issues. I keep telling them there is no medical reason for this. Daughter confirmed that. "I just need to listen to Kitten. She knows when I'm going to wet the bed and tries to make me wake up. She knows because I get restless."

In the past she'd mentioned that Kitten doesn't like it when she wets the bed, but this was the first I heard that Kitten tries to get her up. She was dry this morning. Do I think she'll be able to do all those things for 30 days? Not really. But that's okay. If she does, I am figuring out what we can do about employment. I put it in a poster frame for several reasons:


  1. It will be harder for her to destroy when she gets frustrated with it.

  2. We can use a dry erase marker to track her progress. It will be easy to erase and start over when she blows it.

  3. It is a concrete visual reminder. The goal of community employment is at the top. The tasks and rewards are listed. She decorated it, so she was involved.

Will it work? It gives me something to point to when she wants to move out or adopt a kid. I can remind her that first she needs to be able to hold down a job, and to hold down a job, she needs to be able to do those things. If it keeps her motivated for several days at a time, it will be worth it. Last night she folded the whites properly without complaining, a first. This morning she was dry. If that happens several times a week, it will be worth the time and money.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

Sounds like a very good plan.
One thought. 30 days sounds like a long time to go without an interim acknowledgement of success, if you think it's going to be a bit of a stretch for her. Is there a way of celebrating success, and progress towards the 30 days, in a small way, say after 5 or 10 days??
Good luck!

Miz Kizzle said...

Not to be a downer, but I doubt she can keep it up for 30 days, What kind of job do you think she can do? Does she imagine she'll be doing something that is beyond her capabilities? And what about adopting a baby? Realistically, she doesn't have a chance. How are you going to handle telling her?

Reverend Mom said...

Sorry, I wasn't clear. She gets one point for each item each day, so she can reach 30 points in 5 days if she does well. There are rewards built in every 30 points, so she could get rewards every 5 days on her goal to 30 days.

I don't think she'll be able to do it for 30 days. My thought is that this is a visual reminder of the basic skills she needs for a job-- then it's her limitations holding her back and not her mean mom who doesn't want her to have a life.

As to adoption, I've explained to Daughter on numerous occasions why she isn't able to adopt. She understands and remembers for a day or two. In a couple of months, she's completely forgotten and is bugging me again about doing it.

For today, she understands that this is what she needs to do to reach her goals, and that employment is the first step towards everything else. It gives her a goal and something to work towards. I can keep pointing her back to it when she comes to me with unrealistic dreams.

maeve said...

I think this looks like a great plan. My Miss K is a visual learner and she'd really take to this. I hope this works to give her baby steps to make the big goals.