Monday, May 3, 2010

Incompetence

Daughter was up and dressed early this morning, excited about starting at the gift shop. She had asked to wear one of the skirts that I think is a little short for me. She looked quite professional when she came downstairs. She was out waiting for the bus earl. As she stood out on the porch singing, and it got later, I had a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. She finally came in.
.
"Mom, the bus is late."
.
"Go ahead and call the workshop."
.
She disappeared out onto the front porch with a cordless phone. A few minutes later she was back. It took her three tries to find someone at their desk who would answer the phone (she has all the important extensions memorized). The woman was checking things out, and they'd call us. She handed me the phone and returned to the front porch.
.
The phone rang. It was the receptionist. The paper work hadn't gotten to the bus driver. Communicating transportation needs is pretty basic, but this isn't the first time they've messed it up. By then it was late, so I took her in and dropped her at the gift shop. I'll spare you the details, but I was late for my 9:00 appointment with Therapist. Daughter dealt with the disruption amazingly well. She's in a much better place.
.
It seems that Daughter called Therapist when she ran away from home Wednesday night. She just left a message, instead of calling the emergency number as she normally does. Therapist said it was interesting. Daughter talked about how she knew what she was doing was wrong and stupid, but she was running away and going to Town to see Flasher. She kept talking about how dumb it was and how it was the wrong thing to do, and then saying she was doing it anyway.
.
For today, Daughter is safely at the gift shop. The rest of the week I won't have to worry about providing transportation, as I'm fairly confident that even the incompetent people at the workshop are smart enough to know they'd best get this fixed. It may have been a blessing in disguise. Daughter didn't have the temptation of going to check at friends while doing a bus transfer at the workshop this morning. It's almost lunch time, and I haven't had any phone calls about her. Life is good.

1 comment:

Mom 4 Kids said...

I have meant to thank you for the tip you left me on my blog regarding the non-verbal IQ test for my daughter. Thanks again!