Thursday, May 13, 2010

As the Mood Swings

Daughter came home dragging. I had decided that I needed to set aside time for her when she first got home, so I invited her into the living room. She sat down next to me on the couch, snuggled in, and slept for about 45 minutes while I read a book. I cooked supper, and then I headed into the dining room to do some work. Daughter came and grabbed my hand and led me into the living room. "Sit here. I'll be right back." She vanished into her bedroom and was gone for 20 minutes. When she came back down, she told me she wanted to talk to me. She told me she had a plan. She wanted to take the $1,000 she has in savings, find a building, remodel it into a club complete with stage, dance floor, and bakery/coffee bar. I explained that she didn't even have enough money to begin a project like that. She was disappointed, but recovered quickly.
.
I went into the dining room to tackle the pill boxes. She got the vacuum cleaner out. I looked at and told her she needed to empty it before she used it. She put it away and stormed away. I asked her to sit down, that I wanted to talk to her. She said she'd sit, but I couldn't make her listen. So I continued what I was doing until she was ready to listen. She has been complaining that I'm stressing her out-- she's been worried because she's picking up on my grief and stress. I told her that what worked best for me when I was stressed was to tackle the things that were stressing me the most, because that helped me feel better. She listened and stormed off to her bedroom, announcing that didn't work for her.
.
Fifteen minutes later, she came downstairs, got the vacuum cleaner and ran it upstairs, including getting the saw dust in my closet from the work the electricians did today. Her mood is volatile right now. Psychiatrist thinks it's the result of her intellectual limitations and poor coping skills, and not rapid cycling. I'm not so sure. We see her in just over a week, so we'll see what she says then.

No comments: