Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Proving Points

Daughter showed me last night that I can't stop the bed wetting. Today she took it a step further. I was sitting in the fast food place working on Sunday's service when she called and wanted to know where I was. I asked what she wanted. She needed me to come get her because she was "slow" getting to the bathroom and there was a wet spot on her skirt. I sympathized with how embarrassing it was, and suggested she get on the bus last and sit up front. She was cheerful, and didn't complain or lay a guilt trip on me, for which I'm grateful. It was hard telling her to ride the bus, but I knew that picking her up would make the situation worse. She would have succeeded in making this my problem, and found a way to make me stop what I was doing and run to rescue her.
.
It will be interesting to see what kind of mood she's in when she gets home. As for me, I'm in a better mood. I ran out of time to go to the nursing home, but I am pleased with what I got written. Having it done is a huge stress off of me. When Daughter gets home I will have to face two of my least favorite tasks: washing her hair and filling her pill boxes. Getting rid of those stresses will also improve my mood.
.
For now I'm wondering who proved their point today. Daughter by showing me I can't control her urination, or me by proving it's her problem, not mine?

2 comments:

Joan said...

Have you tried one of those pads that buzzes when they get wet? My mother despaired of training my Down Syndrome sister at night till she tried one of these. Patty hated the sound of the buzz so much that she was trained at night in one week -- after years and years of night wetting. (She was 21!)

Reverend Mom said...

I haven't tried one, in part because this problem just started the end of January and I keep hoping she'll be over it. I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.