Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Car Time

I had a meeting this afternoon at a church 55 miles from here. The roads were all 2 lane, so it took about an hour and 20 minutes to make the trip. I was armed with my ipod, and so I got to listen to all kinds of wonderful podcasts. I listened to 3 professors discuss Sunday's Scriptures-- and warn against what I was planning to do. I listened to an interview with Serene Jones, who has written a book called Trauma and Grace. I think I'm going to have to seek it out after listening to the interview.
.
At the meeting I saw a number of friends and colleagues. Daughter called me shortly after I arrived. She wanted me to know she was going to miss her. I called her at the supper break and when I was on my way home. I left early. I decided that it would be good to get home before she went to bed. She sat down on the couch next to me and ended up with her head in my lap, asleep. She has a need for physical contact with me right now, so I'm trying to make time for it. This week it is a challenge because my schedule is so tight.
.
Today was a busy day, and a good one. I'm grateful for the time in the car away from distractions. I'm grateful for time with colleagues. I'm grateful for a break from Daughter, and for positive time with her. By the time I got home, she'd completed her chores and so I was just able to enjoy being with her. Tomorrow will be even busier. I hope I will be as content tomorrow evening.

No comments: