Monday, May 17, 2010

Too Good and Lies

Diabetes Doctor said Daughter's blood sugar control is too tight-- her average blood sugar the last 3 months was in the normal, non-diabetic range. I'd already cut her insulin 30% in response to lows, but I need to cut it more. I was trying to figure out a reason for the reduced insulin needs. I asked about changes in medication or mania being a factor. Each time his response was, "We don't know." Daughter was crying as she put her shoes back on-- she can't handle change. I told her it wouldn't affect her, just me and the calculations I make for her insulin.
.
She has to write an apology note this evening. The Sub who wouldn't let her call me last week came in at lunch time today. Daughter had a low blood sugar this morning, but her blood sugar was up by lunch time so she took her insulin. Daughter called and wanted me to pick her up early. She told me her blood sugar was low before lunch, and when it went up after lunch, Sub made her take insulin. It turns out her blood sugar was high before lunch, and so she took the appropriate amount of insulin. I explained to Daughter (again) that she needed to use her words to tell me she's concerned about her safety, not tell me lies so I'll come get her right away. I also told her she has to write an apology to sub for lying to me about what happened. She tried to convince me she didn't remember what really happened because her low blood sugars messed with her brain. I wasn't convinced, and she finally acknowledged she'd been caught.
.
Tomorrow I have a meeting that extends from early afternoon into the evening. There will be a respite worker with Daughter when she gets home. Daughter seems to be handling this pretty well, but I suspect that I will have to deal with fall out when I get home. This is a very busy week in which I'm not quite overbooked, but there isn't room for emergencies. I am always uncomfortable when my schedule is that full, as it seems to invite emergencies. Daughter will test to see if I'm still paying attention, of course. Tonight I'm devoting to her, and hopefully that will make it easier for her to deal with my busy schedule.

No comments: