Sunday, May 30, 2010

Being Responsible

I found out as we were heading to the high school that Daughter didn't want to go to graduation. I could see her shutting down, and asked what was wrong. I hadn't even considered that possibility. I pointed out that she'd been back to the school once since she'd graduated, and that had been fine. I also reminded her that it was a new building, so it would even feel like her old school. She was concerned about running into old friends. I told her she didn't have to talk to anyone if she didn't want to. The gym was air conditioned, the graduation only took an hour, my kids collected lots of scholarships, and Grad did a great job with his speech. We have 2 open houses next Sunday and then the graduation season is behind us.
.
After graduation, we went to the Super Store. Unfortunately, their water island was out of order, so we weren't able to fill the 5 gallon bottles we'd brought with us. We had 3 empties, and the one left at home wasn't full. I decided we needed to find someplace to fill them. To complicate things, it was 90 out and I had 2 gallons of milk in the car. I didn't want to park the car and have the milk cook.
.
I dropped Daughter off at the grocery store with the empty water bottles and money. I told her she could pick out one package of sugar free candy. Then I went to the pharmacy and parked in the shade while I ran in to get her prescriptions (15 of them-- I finally have them back to where I can get them all refilled at the same time). It took her a little longer to fill the water bottles than I thought it would, but she did it. She was so proud of herself. "See, I can be responsible!" I told her I always knew she could, which was one of the reasons it was so frustrating when she wasn't responsible.
.
She talked about her eagerness to move and her frustration with God that it hasn't happened yet. I told her that God was getting things ready, and pointed out that it would have been hard to handle the stress of a move when she was having so many problems. She stopped complaining.
.
Now I'm going to go watch a movie with her. It has been a good day.

No comments: