Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Why Do I Assume It's My Mistake?

Over the last few weeks, Daughter was having some low blood sugars, so I reduced her insulin. We had a couple of days of good blood sugars, but then she mysteriously began running slightly high. I questioned my calculations of carbs. I tried adjusting her before meal insulin. I had decided that tonight I was going to have to increase the long acting insulin, and worried about what I had done wrong, and where I had made my mistake. I pondered the possibility that I was giving her too much insulin at bedtime, and the highs were the result of a low and then a rebound.
.
When we got home from the senior luncheon, I asked her to take care of her linens in the washing machine. She glared at me for a while and then retreated to her bedroom to pout. Finally, she came downstairs and said, "I feel so stupid."
.
"Then go take care of your linens so I can put some other laundry in." She ignored my suggestions and sat in my study glaring at me.
.
I could feel my blood pressure rising, so I went out into the kitchen and began straightening things up. I announced that if she didn't take care of her linens, I'd move them to a laundry basket and leave them there, wet, so I could do other laundry. She ignored me. I put them in the laundry basket and started a load of clothes. I went back into the kitchen, and discovered that a number of the juice boxes we have on hand to treat low blood sugars were missing. I ordered her to go get them. Several times.
.
She finally stormed upstairs and slammed her bedroom door. I followed with a bag. She heard me coming and was coming out of her room, arms full of juice boxes by the time I reached her bedroom. I told her I wanted the other food she had hidden up there. She stared, silent, for a minute and then announced there wasn't any more. I went in and began searching. Of course there was more.
.
Once again I had been beating myself up for not managing her insulin properly, and she's been sabotaging all my efforts. She informed me that I'm the worse mom she's ever seen and left. I don't know where she'll go. She's already been gone longer than she was the last time she left. Have I mentioned lately how exhausting this is?

1 comment:

Miz Kizzle said...

I'm sorry she's being so difficult. Of course you know that if it quacks like a duck and waddles like a duck there's a good possibility that it is, indeed, a duck.
Any time your daughter's blood sugar goes wonky there's a good possibility she helped herself to a sweet treat.
please try and relax. She'll be back.