Friday, April 16, 2010

The Plan

I went to the adult day care center today. While I was there, Daughter called me. She was sobbing. She wanted me to come get her right away. She needed to clean out her locker and leave forever. Someone wouldn't leave her alone. As I listened, what I heard was that she couldn't handle being in a place she knew she was leaving. So, I went and picked her up early. She cleaned out her locker and I got all her diabetes supplies from the clinic. She freaked the staff out by telling them she was not coming back. She was very happy and chipper about leaving. I'm a little shell-shocked.
.
The waiver won't help with the daycare. There is a day habilitation program about 25 miles south of here that the waiver would help cover. Monday morning we're going back to the adult day care center so I can meet with the nurse. The plan is to start her on Wednesday. It will cost me almost $50 a day. Monday afternoon we'll go check out the day habilitation program. It sounds like their "members" are much lower functioning than Daughter. They work on life skills-- like meal planning, cooking, and cleaning. They have 4-11 members there on any given day. They do lots of activities in the community.
.
Tonight we're going out to eat and then to a musical that Town high school is doing. Therapist's daughter has the lead role in it. Tomorrow will be the 15th anniversary of Daughter's adoption, so that is the reason for our celebration. We have some kind of celebration every year. Daughter is the one who keeps track, I never seem to think about adoption day, but she does. It's very important to her. I'm glad she sees it as something to celebrate.
.
Case Manager was amazed at how happy Daughter was to be leaving the workshop. We hope that means it will be a healing move for her. I want to get her back to where she was 3 years ago. I want to see her moving forward, not backwards.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe your DD needs to be around lower functioning people; they'll probably work in basic skills and your DD sounds like she needs some help with those since she wets the bed and won't shower or brush her teeth.

Reverend Mom said...

That's a possibility.... Thanks.