Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My Joy

Today has been one of those days that reminds me how fortunate I am to be a pastor. I've been working on the sermon for Sunday, and digging into it in ways that I haven't in a very long time, going so far as to go to the original Greek. I'm excited about the discoveries I'm making, and look forward to sharing them with my people.
.
This afternoon I visited some of our elderly members. I talked to a woman who just turned 95. She was excited about the party they had for her. She was so excited she told me about it a couple of times. Yes, she's a bit confused, but she certainly remembered her party! I talked to some of my favorite people, a wonderful couple who have been married for a very long time. He was a POW in WWII. She was telling me about a new book she's reading, and we talked some about politics. I shared the highlights from Easter.
.
Then I went to visit a woman who recently returned to her home after a brief hospitalization and trip to a nursing home for rehab. She has buried her husband, daughter, great grandson, and her last surviving sibling fell and broke her hip this week. She was asking me questions about a sermon she'd heard on tv. We talked about family, and how she's coping with being home. Several times she repeated things I've said to her over the years. She was repeating things I don't remember saying, but she remembers them. My words have meant so much to her she's held on to them and pulls them back out to help her understand/cope with situations. I can't express what it means to me that my words would have such an impact on her life.
.
I consider it a gift when God gives me rewarding days in ministry following a frustrating day of parenting. It helps balance things out.
.
Daughter did call as I was headed to town today. She needed to be picked up from the workshop. I inquired as to why, hoping she'd broken up with Flasher. The problem was with Pregnant Best Friend. PBF called her a liar at lunch today. I showed great restraint and didn't point out to her that she does tell lots of lies. I didn't ask her if she'd lied to PBF. I did tell her she needed to work it out with PBF. She told me she couldn't, because PBF won't talk tot her. I suggested she converse with other people then, and reminded her that Therapist had told her she had a voice and needed to deal with these situations, and that what goes on at the workshop needs to stay at the workshop. She hung up on me. She is now on the bus home, so she made it through the day.
.
Her problems are kept in perspective by a day of ministry that has given me such joy. I am grateful.

No comments: