Friday, April 2, 2010

Entitlement

Daughter is displaying this amazing sense of entitlement. She's still refusing to do any chores, but she's asking me to do extra things for her. She has yet to transfer her wet linens to the dryer. When I told her she needed to get that done, she informed me that she was 23 years old, and she could take care of herself and make her own decisions. She didn't need me for anything.
.
I wasn't a patient, loving mother in reply. I told her that was fine, she could do her own cooking and figure out her own insulin and medication. I told her she'd have to buy the food, too. She has $1.48. That's what she earned at the workshop in the last 2 weeks. When you refuse to work, you don't earn any money. Apparently she doesn't think the same rules apply at home. At home, Mom should be at your beck and call, even when you are not only refusing to do any chores, and are not even picking up after yourself. Stealing food items that Mom has purchased for specific purposes doesn't do much to endear you to Mom, either.
.
Obviously, I will end up helping with the insulin and medication. I can't let her have the insulin right now, she'd take extra for sure. She used the last daily pill box yesterday, and I haven't refilled them yet, in part because her prescription refills are now out of sync and I don't have enough of some of her meds to fill the full month. I had planned to fill enough to at least get us through the weekend, but for some reason, I'm no longer motivated to do that.
.
I preached about how Jesus calls us to an active love that serves others and is unconditional last night. I still love her, but I'm tired of serving her right about now.
.
Right after posting this, I found this article. Interesting.

No comments: