Monday, April 26, 2010

Interview Number Two

This evening I had a second phone interview with a congregation. I think I'm in love. I'm really impressed by what they are telling me. Most of the congregations I talk to have a history of conflict (that's what happens when you list conflict management as a skill). I ask them how they've healed and what they've learned. Up until this committee, the answer was always: "The bad people have all left and we don't have any problems any more." This congregation talked about learning to recognize and focus on their strengths. They asked me lots of questions about how I handle theological diversity. They recognize that they still have challenges, and they are seeking a pastor who will lead them through that.
.
I asked them point blank how the congregation would react to Daughter. They said race wouldn't be an issue, and that in terms of her challenges, they thought the congregation would embrace her. My paperwork says that I have a special needs young adult daughter, and that there would need to be opportunities for her and she would need to feel welcomed, too. Because they aren't legally allowed to ask questions about my family, I always invite them to ask any questions they may have and tell them something of her background. This is the 4th church I thought might be the ONE. I hate to get my hopes up too high. I know that God will provide the right place at the right time. Yet I really hope this is the right place and the right time.

1 comment:

maeve said...

Sending good thoughts; this sounds like a really excellent congregation.