Thursday, April 22, 2010

Shocked Speechless

I am known for my frugality-- some might say cheapness, but I prefer frugality. My sisters have more money, and are less frugal. They occasionally get frustrated with what they see as my cheapness. I was talking to Far Away Sister today as I walked into super discount store. (Neither of my sisters will shop at super discount store.) I had decided it was time to buy a new half slip. The elastic was giving out in my favorite half slip, which I inherited from Grandma. Grandma died 12 years ago.
.
This afternoon I ended up on a three way call with Sister and Far Away Sister. "Hey, Sister, Reverend Mom splurged today. Tell her how you treated yourself."
.
It took me a moment to figure out what she was talking about, but then I remembered. "Oh, I went to super discount store and bought a new half slip to replace the one I inherited from Grandma."
.
Sister was silent. Sister is never silent. "I shocked Sister into silence!" Far Away Sister and I thought it was hilarious. It took Sister a while to recover, but she finally told me that was good that I had treated myself in that way. I need to remember this day as the day I left Sister speechless-- probably for the first and last time.

3 comments:

maeve said...

Oh, for heaven's sake. You are so silly. How much did that cost, $1.98? I'm with your sister, although I don't own any half-slips. I'm giggling at you looking at the discount store that you won't name, called W, for a half-slip. Haven't heard the words half-slip in decades.

I'm giggling. Sorry.

Reverend Mom said...

I'm glad you're giggling. That's why I posted it. You haven't looked in a very long time. With sales tax, the price was $8.56. Far Away Sister was suggesting better places to shop, but kept realizing the places she was suggesting were even farther away than ths super discount store, which is 13 miles away....

Jules said...

I think being frugal is something to be proud of. My parents are very good with money and I aspire to be as frugal as they are.