Saturday, April 17, 2010

Reality Hits

I knew that some point it would hit Daughter that she was leaving her friends and familiar routine. One of the reasons I decided to celebrate adoption day yesterday evening was to distract her. It worked, at least for the most part. She came home and slept (avoidance). She loved the show, but was sobbing during the intermission (which is pretty much how she handles all shows). She came home and complained of being in terrible physical pain. At one point she was doubled over on the floor because she was in so much pain. Having been conned far too many times, I offered her ibuprofen, which she declined, and pretty much ignored the dramatics.
.
Change is always hard for her, and this is a pretty major change. I'll admit, I'm a bit concerned about how it will all work out, too. I remain confident, though, that this is the right choice. We had a discussion about where we wold go to eat last night. She wanted a restaurant I'd eaten in twice this past week (once with her). I wanted a different place. Since I was driving and paying....
.
"Fine. I see this is an argument I'm not going to win."
.
"You should be thanking me. Thank you, Mom, for taking me out to eat. Thank you, Mom, for adopting me. Thank you, Mom, for keeping me even when I'm being a turkey."
.
"Gobble. Gobble."
.
I chuckled, which prompted her to giggle and say, "Happy Thanksgiving!"
.
I'm hoping that with this change, I'll see more of her humor. That's my hope and prayer as we enter into a challenging week....

No comments: