Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Complications

Things were going too well. Daughter called about lunch time, down and wanting me to come get her. She claimed she was having flashbacks. She does know the lingo. I gave her some suggestions, and talked to Nurse, who claimed responsibility for the problem-- Daughter had eaten her meal before everyone else because she wanted to check her blood sugar early and then said she might as well eat. She was done eating when the others got her food, which wasn't much fun. Nurse assured me that tomorrow they'd handle it differently.
.
I didn't get to the hospital as early as I would have liked, but I did get over there before his surgery, and had a nice visit with him and his family. Case Manager called while I was with the family. The Day Hab program has determined that they can't provide transportation for Daughter, which means she won't be going to the Day Hab program. Case Manager went to bat for us, and got the powers that be to say that Daughter can go to the gift shop. Actually, it's not a gift shop now, but until recently the workshop had a gift shop there. Now, it is an activity site for clients who don't want to work. Daughter's old supervisor (the one who told her to stop it and put an end to her psychogenic nonepileptic seizures at the workshop) is running the program, and initially they said she couldn't go because there was only one person there and they couldn't handle her diabetic needs. CM has convinced him that they can and should.
.
I didn't have time to go through all the details with CM, and she was gone by the time I left the hospital. However, Daughter would be able to go 5 days a week, and the bus would pick her up. She would have to wait briefly in the workshop lobby, so I need to think this through. I'm hoping this is a good thing. Flasher didn't call this morning, so hopefully he's moving on. CM also told me that some of the problems may be solved when some people return to community employment in the future.
.
I told Special Olympics Coordinator (SOC) that I was pulling Daughter out Special Olympics for now and that I'd pulled her out of the workshop. She said someone else had pulled their kid, too. They need to get a handle on the culture there, but with the concern about rights, that's going to be easier said than done.
.
Daughter has an appointment with Therapist tomorrow morning. I'm going to talk to her about timing on this. I want Daughter completely away from the workshop for at least a few more days. She saw Pregnant Best Friend and her husband at the supper tonight. She talked to them for a bit and was down when we left. She recovered fairly quickly. Unfortunately, she heard the message from the Day Hab program. She was angry, but I told her there were options, and that seemed to satisfy her. I had ordered guitar hero, and it arrived today, so she's playing with it now....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're doing everything possible to give your DD a good life, one where she is safe and actually doing something, other than sitting around thinking up ways to get attention.
This emphasis on clients' rights has gone too far, IMHO. It's the same sort of cockeyed thinking that let deinstitutionalized mental patients decide whether or not they wanted to take their meds and that dumped them into the "community" with no support. It's all well and good to think that they will do what's best for themselves but often they can't because of their limitations.
I had to shake my head over the idea of a place for clients to go when they don't feel like working. I can imagine what would happen if they instituted that in every workplace. Soon almost everyone would be sitting around reading magazines, drinking coffee and gossiping. It wouldn't work in the "typical" world so why should people like your daughter be treated any differently? Not that they should be chained to their seats and lashed if they don't produce a certain number of widgets per hour but taking pride in one's work and being productive are simple things that make people feel good about themselves.
Gah! Enough rant. At least your DD is away from Flasher.

Reverend Mom said...

Thanks. I agree about the over emphasis on clients' rights. I think much of history is the story of going to an extreme and then over-correcting, so we go to the other extreme. I think that's what's happened at the workshop, unfortunately.