Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Amazing

Daughter entertained herself in the church office for 3 hours last night while I was involved with other things. We didn't get home until after her bedtime, and she had a mini-meltdown. She informed me she was going to call the workshop and inform them she needed to be picked up today. When she had cooled off a little we talked, and I offered reassurance that everything would be okay. I pointed out that she hadn't felt safe for sometime, and while the new arrangements might not be perfect, they would definitely help her feel safe.
.
This morning when she came downstairs, she was singing. She came into the living room and sang, "Good morning to you." She had made her own lyrics up to fit her mood and the day. It was wonderful to see her so happy. We spent the morning over at the church. She took some things to the post office to be mailed, and spent the rest of the time working on an art project for Therapist. The project shows her progress in getting out of the Deep, Dark Hole. She didn't interrupt or demand attention until 11:45, when she announced that her blood sugar was dropping. So, we came home and ate lunch.
.
She knows that I have to make some visits this afternoon, and is packing her purse with things she can use to entertain herself. I am amazed at the change in her. When I talked to Therapist to set up an appointment for Daughter, I expressed regret that I hadn't recognized what was going on and taken action earlier. Therapist told me not to go down that road. As I think about it, it would have been difficult to do anything earlier, for a variety of reasons. This is happening at the right time. I really do see God's hand in this, and I am grateful.

1 comment:

maeve said...

Right, don't go down that road. For some reason she needed to experience what she experienced.

I know this because I'm in the "letting go" mode. It's hard. Your problem and it's your job to solve it.

You've done a great job! Three cheers, awesome mom.