Monday, April 19, 2010

Setting the Wheels in Motion

Daughter and I went to visit the Day Hab site this afternoon. Case Manager was also there. It will take some work to get all the paper work in order, but the plan is for Daughter to attend their 3-4 days a week. There is one day they are full, and another day that is questionable. They also have to figure out the bus route. The place is 25 miles from here, and they haven't come this far north before. I view time on the bus as bonus time that I don't have to deal with her. The day hab program won't cost me anything. She is excited and scared. She alternates between playful and down and scared. Part of the time she was pointing out things they had, part of the time she was sitting on the floor wrapped around my leg. I liked the people, and while I think Daughter will be one of the highest functioning, that's okay for right now.
.
She will go to the adult day care Wednesday-Friday this week, and at least 2 days a week until she starts the day hab program. Then she may attend one day a week. I'm tired, but relieved that we've come up with a workable plan.
.
I wrote a letter to Flasher's mom. Case Manager is going to address and mail it (she can't give me the address because of confidentiality issues and I don't know mom's last name). She thought it was a good letter. She also listened to the voice mails so she can confirm what Flasher said. I'm going to pull Daughter out of Special Olympics for right now. I hate to do it, but it became obvious yesterday that there is no good level of contact with him.
.
Daughter has lost the ability to earn money at the workshop, so I've suggested she stay at home on Thursdays and I will give her jobs she can do around the house to earn money. I have to develop a job list and how much I'll pay her for each. We're going to make this work. As Far Away Sister said, Daughter has learned there are always options, and she's not trapped. That's a good thing for her to know.

5 comments:

Jules said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jules said...

I think all these changes are AWESOME. You definitely seem to be on the right track and it's great to hear that your daughter seems happier/more playful, etc as a result. You rock.

Reverend Mom said...

Thanks, Jules. I don't know if I rock, but I do know that I'm exhausted. I ended the day with 3 hours at the church tonight. We're looking at major expense for the pipe organ....

maeve said...

Wow, lots of good changes to come. And I'll bet you're exhausted! Soon life will be easier it seems. You deserve it --made a plan and made the plan work. AWESOME is right!

Reverend Mom said...

Maeve,
The improvement in Daughter is awesome. I am so relieved...