Saturday, October 2, 2010

Water

In Tiny Village I had well water. Well water that was full of sulfur and iron. I stopped buying white clothes, knowing I would never be able to keep them white. I bought water at the station in the grocery store that I put into 5 gallon jugs. If I needed ice, I bought it. I could never get my sink clean, because the water let a white film on it. My drinking glasses were permanently cloudy.
.
The water was heavily treated. We had a softener and a system that used hydrogen peroxide to get the sulfur out of the water. They helped, but it still wasn't "good" water. For 14 years, I lived with that water. The sulfur ate through the controls of my washing machine. I went through 3 machines and had major repairs between replacements. It ate the coils on the air conditioner. We went through 3 coils and finally had to replace the entire system. My sister wouldn't spend the night in my house, as the sulfur odor made her sick.
.
After 14 years, bad water was normal and to be expected. Then I moved to Capital. I can drink the water. I need less shower gel. Our new refrigerator gives me water and ice through the door. My glasses sparkle when they come out of the dishwasher. I had forgotten the joy of drinking ice water, of having ice in my ice tea, of being able to leave the sink sparkling clean. I am loving it. I will never again take good water for granted.

1 comment:

Miz Kizzle said...

Like cold water to a weary soul is good news from a distant land.
Proverbs 25:25