Saturday, October 9, 2010

A Day Off

We haven't taken on any new projects today. I got up and cooked breakfast (usually we just have cereal). We finished cleaning up from yesterday, and then went to a neighboring town for a fall festival. We ate junk food and shopped at the craft show. We stopped to pick up a couple of things at the store, and then came home. We're watching a college football game. A theologian is giving a lecture at a church on the other side of town, so I think we'll go to that this evening. He's also preaching tomorrow morning, so I think that is where we will worship tomorrow. I heard this man about 30 years ago, and I was impressed. I'm amazed he's still speaking, as I thought he was old then, though looking at his bio, he was younger than I am now.
.
Speaking of old there was a classic car show at the festival today. How can cars that were new in my lifetime be classics? It was rather disconcerting.
.
I have adopted a new strategy with Daughter. She wants to go back to Tiny Village. I informed her that wasn't going to happen, so she might as well put that thought out of her mind. I went on to explain that she was making choices that were making her miserable, and she could continue to do that, or she could make better decisions. I explained that there was still a lot of work to do to finish unpacking the house. I told her she could help and work with me, and there would be time for games, shopping, and fun together. I told her if she chose not to work with me, I would have to do it alone, and there wouldn't be time for those things and she would be miserable.
.
I'm going to print out a calendar for the week so she can see what's happening. I'll let her choose when we will work on particular rooms. I'm hoping she is enjoying this day off and will want to work with me. Monday night we're going over to have supper with her favorite couple in the church, so that's something for her to look forward to. She doesn't do well with unstructured time, and it's a challenge, trying to provide structure for her in the midst of the chaos of moving.
.
This day off has been good for both of us, I'm sure. Moving is stressful. I'm happy and confident that this was the right move for us, and it's stressful for me. Daughter didn't have any control over the decision to move here, and she still doesn't know what life will be like for her. That makes it even more stressful. All things considered, she's doing well. We both are.

No comments: