Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Piggy Bank


Today was a gray, rainy day, and we were tackling the basement. Daughter was unwrapping fragile items in the basement, and unwrapped a china piggy bank (yes, the picture is of the bank). I quickly took it from her and headed upstairs. I moved quickly in part because I didn't want it to get dropped and broken on the concrete floor, and more importantly, I didn't want Daughter to see me crying. The piggy bank was Dad's. I remember, back when I was an only child, Mom explaining to me the importance of saving money and helping me put my pennies in that bank. I remember her showing me how to use a table knife to slide the coins out.

.

Daughter, with her hypervigilance, knew something was wrong and followed me upstairs. She was quite concerned, demanding I call one of my sisters. I assured her I'd be fine, I was just sad. It has been an exhausting day. The basement is almost done. We went out to eat even though it's not complete. There are 5-6 boxes we haven't unpacked. They are the hardest boxes. Even with some boxes left, the basement looks 100 times better.

.

The window treatments are in for the living room, so we picked them up before supper. After super we went to another store and bought a floor lamp and some additional storage for the craft area in the basement. Daughter could tell I was exhausted, so when we got home she sent me in to put the heating pad on my sore neck and shoulder while she unloaded the car. Tomorrow we will work in the garage in the morning and then head to the church. We are meeting a woman who has a son in a group home, and hopefully can give me hints on getting services for Daughter.

.

No comments: