Friday, November 4, 2011

I Should Have Growled Louder

So I took Daughter down to residential, and found an overwhelmed staff. The Medical Coordinator, who Nurse insisted was very experienced and knew how to handle everything was waiting for me. "I've only been in this position since the beginning of October, and I'm feeling overwhelmed." The information on carb content for the meals? It said 1/2 cup of pasta was 15 grams of carb. The box from the macaroni and cheese said 1 cup was 50 grams of carb. I'm glad the cook was smart enough to save the box to show me. I walked them through it several times in several different ways. I was there for over 2 hours dealing with the medical stuff. I've had 4-5 calls since I left. Nurse will not be happy to see me on Monday. Medical Coordinator told me that usually they have an in-service for all the staff before someone with the kind of needs Daughter has comes. She told me to make sure I insisted on one before move-in. She said if I insisted, they'd have to do it.
.
Now for the good news: I liked all the staff I met. They were very kind and caring. Daughter couldn't see me, but I could hear her laughing and talking with the other women. She is still insisting to me that she doesn't belong there, but I think it will be okay. The staff and I will figure it out, since it seems that Nurse and Dietitian aren't going to be much help. I guess I didn't growl loudly enough.

2 comments:

maeve said...

Ultimately this will be so good for her and good for you as well. The frustration of the first little-while is probably universal. I hope so, because I'm frustrated in our situation as well. All will be well....all will be well....all will be well. I hope.

Miz Kizzle said...

At least the staff cares enough to want to get it right. It's hard when kids leave the nest. When my two eldest went off to college I was completely freaked out worrying about fire, floods, plagues of locust and homicidal maniacs.
I think this will be a good thing for you and your DD.