Saturday, November 12, 2011

A Good Night's Sleep and a Plan

I don't think I moved after I went to bed last night. I slept, and slept well. I'll leave here about 7:30 for my meeting, which is about 95 miles from here. Fortunately, it's interstate most of the way, and I shouldn't run into much traffic on a Saturday morning.
.
I didn't receive any more phone calls last night, so that's good. Today they are going to a movie, so that will be fun for Daughter. I do think it will work for Daughter at this place, I am just frustrated that I wasn't able to convince them to provide adequate training for staff. I don't understand why the dietitian doesn't get it and won't be more proactive. Yes, it will be work for her, but I was told she approves the menu, so it wouldn't be a problem.
.
The dietitian is young, so I thought she would be up on the current diabetic management approaches. She gave them exchanges for the food, which is the old way. One exchange of carb is 15 grams of carb. This way of doing it requires staff to multiply the carb exchanges by 15, and then divide by Daughter's current ratio. That's a lot of math to do when you are trying to feed 13 people. The staff doesn't make much more above minimum wage, and they don't have advanced training. We need to make this as easy as possible for them. Since they have set menus, I'd like to see the nutrition and serving size on the menu. When I asked about the serving size for the potatoes yesterday, I was told "a couple of spoon fulls." It's hard to figure carbs for "a couple of spoon fulls" when you have multiple people determining the size of those couple of spoon fulls.
.
I think I will ask them to fax of email me the menus weekly with any nutritional information or recipes they have. I will calculate serving size, nutrition information, and insulin. I will send it back with serving sizes and insulin calculated by blood sugar. I will show all the work so that they can see how I figure it out. We've worked hard to managed Daughter's blood sugars and keep them at near normal levels, minimizing the likelihood of complications. I want that to continue. I want this placement to work, and since the dietitian isn't willing/able to provide the information staff needs, Mama Bear will take care of things.
.
I will also provide them with a list of options for her bedtime snacks. Sugar free jello will not be an option unless her blood sugar is so high she doesn't need a bedtime snack.

No comments: