Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Rough Start

Well Daughter's camp experience this time is not getting off to a good start. The health officer called and said Daughter wanted to check her blood sugar. I pointed out that she needed to do that before eating and explained (again) how to determine how much insulin she needed. She called me back a little after 7:00. Daughter had finished her supper, and she was just getting to her for her insulin. She didn't know what to do. I told her to give her insulin based on her blood sugar before supper and the carbs in her meal. But she didn't know what her blood sugar was. I suggested she ask Daughter and check the memory in her meter. I refrained from pointing out that it was really important that she be there to help Daughter with her blood sugar and insulin before meals.
.
I got another phone call from someone else at the camp, wanting to know what to do because Daughter's patch had fallen off. She said Daughter said she needed it, and wondered if there was some way to get her another. I pointed out that I sent 2 extra patches to camp with Daughter. I suspect Daughter is picking up on the health officer's lack of confidence and getting anxious. It could be a very long week-- for both of us.

No comments: