Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sneaking and Lying

As she continues her downward spiral that started by taking money from me and progressed from remorse to anger, yesterday afternoon the sneaking and lying reappeared. She broke into the pantry while I was mowing the lawn. I'd only used one lock, but since she was spending the afternoon sleeping, I thought that would be sufficient. It wasn't. She ate a whole box of snack packs I had purchased as easy snacks for our upcoming travels.
.
She explained her sky high blood sugar by saying I'd left the pantry unlocked and she'd eaten a couple of ginger snaps. Then she told me that it was good that she was being honest and not lying to me about it. I was suspicious, but didn't count the boxes until after she'd gone to bed. One was missing. I went and demanded that she give me the empties (I knew she'd have eaten them all).
.
So, it's back to double locks on all food. My bedroom door is still locked. Next Sunday afternoon I will deposit her at camp. I'm hoping she can turn things around before then.
.
On a positive note, she played the piano and sang Kum Ba Yah for special music in church today. She did a nice job, and the people were delighted. She stood behind me as I greeted people after church collecting compliments. She didn't take the envelope with the money and note she was going to return to the saint who took her to the movies Friday. I haven't decided what to do about that. We went out to eat with a family after church and enjoyed pleasant conversation over good food. Now it's off to a graduation open house and then to the retirement center where I'm leading worship at 3:00.
.
During my sermon today, I slipped up and started to say "vacation," instead of "creation." A number of people found it amusing. I have two more Sundays before I have 4 Sundays off. It will be interesting to see how well my mind works for those. I'm always dragging by the time July rolls around and I actually get a break. This is the first time this congregation has seen me as I limp towards vacation....

No comments: