Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Crisis Managed without Me

I got a call this morning that sent me to the hospital to visit one of the saints. While I was gone, Daughter came running upstairs, sobbing. She was shocked that I wasn't there. Administrative Assistant hugged her and calmed her down. One of the men in her program had been pushing her buttons. Daughter's only done that 3 times in the six months they've been downstairs. I'm glad I wasn't there when it happened today. Tomorrow is their last day in our building, and so Daughter needs to adjust to the fact that I'm not going to be right upstairs to manage her crises. When she called and asked if she could come up at the end of the day, I told her she needed to wait 10 minutes. AA and I were in the process of doing the final edits on the newsletter, and I didn't want her disrupting. She wasn't happy, but she waited, and when she came up, she waited respectfully while we finished our work.

Today was a day that did not go as planned. I had a 9:00 meeting and a 1:00 meeting, and I planned to go hide in a restaurant and write my sermon between the meetings. A phone call a little before 9:00 put an end to those plans. An elderly woman was calling from the hospital. Her husband had been there since Tuesday and she said he wasn't doing well and was slipping. She wanted him on the prayer chain. As soon as the 9:00 meeting was over, I headed to the hospital. He was down for tests when I arrived. I don't think it is the crisis his wife feared, I think she panicked when she heard he'd been confused over night and that they wanted to do tests on his heart. I talked to her for a while, and then left to get lunch. I returned to the hospital and got to visit with the man and say a prayer with him before heading back to the church. The visits ate up most of the time between my meetings. The man may be discharged tomorrow. He'll do better when he's home.

Tomorrow morning Daughter has a psychological evaluation in preparation for the guardianship hearing. That will take all morning. The "prom" is tomorrow evening. Saturday we're going to go to a festival here in town. I still have a sermon to write at some point. Maybe I'll be able to get some of it done while Daughter's being tested tomorrow. Maybe.

No comments: